In the spirit of watermelon season and summer not too far away, I thought I’d share a recipe I found for Watermelon Cupcakes. No, that’s not a typo! Watermelon Cupcakes. Because who doesn’t love watermelon? Wait wait wait.. The more appropriate question, who doesn’t love cupcakes? What’s better than a delicious, easy to make, pretty to look at dessert that you and the kids will love!
This recipe will make you 2 dozen amazing cupcakes!
What you need:
1 box of white cake mix
1 1/4 cups pureed watermelon, divided
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 egg whites
a few drops of pink food coloring, optional
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups of powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line 2 (12-count) muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat white cake mix, 1 cup pureed watermelon, vegetable oil and egg whites with an electric mixer. Beat in a drop or two of pink food coloring.
4. Pour batter into prepared muffin tins and bake 19 to 21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. Allow cupcakes to cool in tin about 10 minutes before removing them to wire racks to finish cooling.
6. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat butter, remaining 1/4 cup pureed watermelon and powdered sugar until blended. Add more watermelon if the frosting is too thick or more sugar if it’s too thin. Beat in a drop or two of pink food coloring.
7. Frost cooled cupcakes with Watermelon Frosting.
8. Store in the refrigerator when not enjoying.
Or, if you’d like to make it a little easier I just came across this pre-made Watermelon cupcake mix made by Betty Crocker. I haven’t tried these so I can’t say that they’ll be AS good as the recipe above, but they could be worth checking out.
Amazon sells the mix and frosting together! You can check it out here
if you’d like! 🙂